The Society provides a number of awards in the form of medals, prizes and scholarships. The aim is to encourage dissemination of advances in the theory and practice of operational research, to enable young researchers to attend research schools and seminars, and to enable distinguished scholars to present their work at international gatherings.
There is an Award Guidelines document available to download here.
- The Beale Medal - the best sustained contribution to O.R.
- Companion of O.R. - sustained support and encouragement for the development of O.R. or for those in influential positions who are in broad sympathy with the subject area.
- The President’s Medal - the best account of O.R. practice given at the Society’s annual conference
- The Goodeve Medal - the best paper published in JORS
- The Stafford Beer Medal - the best paper published in EJIS or KMRP
- The Cook Medal - the most outstanding contribution to the philosophy, theory or practice of Knowledge Management published in KMRP
- K. D Tocher Medal - most outstanding contribution to the philosophy, theory or practice of simulation published in JOS within the relevant two year period
- Griffiths Medal - most outstanding contribution to the philosophy, theory or practice of health systems published in HS within the relevant two year period
- The Doctoral Prize - most distinguished body of research leading to the award of a doctorate in the field of O.R.
Scholarships to enable distinguished contributors to present their work at the IFORS Triennial Conference
- Donald Hicks Scholarships for young researchers and practitioners
- The May Hicks awards for student projects
- EURO Summer Institute scholarships for young researchers and practitioners
- The Simpson Award for young researchers and practitioners
- The Elsie Cropper grants, which the Society administers on behalf of independent trustees,to enable sandwich students to buy books or other course materials
- Assisted Places, approval has been given to run a pilot scheme, to provide funding covering conference registration and accommodation for to up to five candidates for the annual conference.